TITULAR PRINCE-ARCHBISHOPRIC OF WÜRZBURG
The Diocese of Würzburg, Germany, was created in 743. In 1168, the Prince-Bishopric of Würzburg was established as an ecclesiastical principality of the Holy Roman Empire. The Prince-Bishops of Würzburg were frequently elected to other ecclesisatical principalities, as was common practice in Germany. In 1803, the Prince-Bishopric was secularized due to provisions of the 1801 Treaty of Lunéville and its temporal power absorbed into the Electorate of Bavaria. In 1805 as a consequence of the Peace of Pressburg, the territory became the Grand Duchy of Würzburg under Grand Duke Ferdinand, former Elector of Salzburg. This was in compensation for the annexation of Salzburg by the Austrian Empire. Previously he was Grand Duke of Tuscany. In 1801, that territory became the Kingdom of Etruria, and he was compensated with the Electorate of Salzburg. In 1814, the state was once again annexed into Bavaria. Ferdinand again became Grand Duke of Tuscany after the Napoleonic Wars. In 1821, the Catholic Church established a new diocese in Würzburg without temporal power. In 2013, the temporal authority of the Prince-Bishopric was ceded to the Patriarchate of Saint Stephen under the Holy Roman Empire, and the style of Titular Prince-Archbishop of Würzburg is held by the Patriarch immediately upon election and holds the Electoral seat pro-tempore in pretense (APS 2013). The Residenz Würzburger is the historic official residence and is now maintained by the German state.
arms of the Electorate of Salzburg
(within the blue border), whose electoral vote was
transferred to Würzburg, as depicted on the quaternion eagle of the Holy Roman Empire 1510.
arms of Salzburg
(within the blue border) and Würzburg (within the red border),
as depicted on the quaternion eagle of the Holy Roman Empire 1806.
Contents Copyright © 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011. Anglican Rite Roman
All Rights Reserved. The Anglican Rite Roman Catholic Church is a trademark.